To celebrate the launch of our new brand, OpenTable is giving away 100 dinners, in 30 cities, all on one unforgettable night — learn more about the giveaway here. We asked a select number of participating restaurants to share responses to 10 questions about the passions we all share: food and dining.
Chef Tom Sellers gained his first Michelin star only five months after opening London’s Restaurant Story, where every dish is an edible story, each one inspired by a memory shared through what you’ll see, smell and taste. Here are Tom’s 10 questions for #100opentables.
1. A meal that changed your life
Per Se. They invited me for dinner two days before I was going back to London, and after working there for two years it made me realise that food and service were really special and I wanted to achieve what Thomas Keller achieves there.
2. In good company: Your dream dinner guests
Adam Byatt — we have some unfinished business.
3. The moment that inspired your current path
Taking the job at Tom Aikens and working beside him.
4. Everyone’s a critic / On getting panned
I don’t feel pressured because I put the utmost pressure on myself. I am my worst critic.
5. The advice that has meant the most to you
The people who thought I couldn’t do it — open Restaurant Story — gave me the push to drive and succeed. Fay Maschler’s review made me keep on going.
6. Last supper / desert island meal
Beans on toast, cheese and black pepper, or my mum’s lasagne.
7. The future of food is…
8. How you want to be remembered
Love me or hate me, I just want respect.
9. On what keeps you sane or drives you crazy
Constant pushing keeps me sane, and not being content with anything drives me crazy.
10. Your break-out moment (in the past or to come)
Leaving school — it put me on the path I am on now. Ask me when I get 3 stars 😉